#BringThemHomeNow

Feb 22, 2013

Sami Rahamim: "My dad was killed by gun violence" #demandaplan


Demand a Plan

I've told a lot of people about my dad in the past few months. He was a funny guy -- always ready to make a joke. He came to the US when he was 14 and worked hard to build his own small business. He was warm and kind. People liked him and he was always looking to help others.

On September 27, 2012, my dad was killed in a mass shooting. A former employee came to his office with a gun and murdered my dad and five other people before turning the gun on himself.

I just went to Washington to meet with my members of Congress and talk about gun violence prevention. I was there because Mayors Against Illegal Guns organized a lobbying day for more than 120 family members of victims and survivors of gun violence. I told my members of Congress about my dad, and something amazing happened: they listened. They heard what I had to say, and I think it made a real difference.

Organizing for Action filmed my trip and then came here to Minneapolis to learn more about my dad.

Will you take a few minutes to watch the video and then call your members of Congress to support gun reform?

Sami and his father - your voice can make a difference

Sometimes I think about how good my dad would have been at telling his own story. How he'd break the ice and make everyone smile. How comfortable he was with people.

It can be hard for me to talk about him. But I know it's important to share his story.

I can't bring him -- or the other people who were killed that day -- back to life. But with your help maybe I can help stop shootings like this from happening to others.

Please join me. Take a minute to watch this video and make your voice heard:

http://DemandAPlan.org/Sami

Thank for sharing your story with Congress,

Sami Rahamim
Mayors Against Illegal Guns


Donate

A campaign of Mayors Against Illegal Guns | About Us | Privacy Policy


Total Pageviews